Monday, August 31, 2009

Mondays

I have managed to use this blog as a relatively neutral posting location... aside from the fact that there's not much neutral about the cause. But today I have a personal post that ties in with the main cause. So here goes

Dear Angry Dude in the Subaru,

I know I got in your way this morning, but I'm not sorry. I saw you speeding (like REALLY speeding) and just thought of all the kids, pets, wildlife, cyclists... and PEOPLE that live on this block. The thought of a dented bumper really didn't bother me when compared to the thought of someone smashed trying to get across the road, or get into their car. I've got insurance on my car, but you can't fix dead.

I pulled out in front of you, it's true. Granted, you had half a block to slow down. I'm not sorry that I got in your way, had you been traveling 30mph you wouldn't even have noticed me. It's really scary that you almost hit that parked car when you stepped on the gas and pulled out to pass me, but in that parked cars defense, it was in the parking lane. (that's what those solid white stripes are)

I saw you take a photo of my plates, and I saw you make a quick phone call. It would be a shame if you called 911, you'd be wasting their time. I don't think that the city would side with you on this one, even if you were late to work. I didn't even bother to get your plates. Usually I call in folks with road rage but these days I'm sick to death of drivers like you, and honestly your antics weren't that memorable compared to some.

You have helped me grow. You made me think of trying a new campaign for Cedar Ave United, or rather, an adaptation of a popular campaign: 'Be a Pace Car, not a Race Car'. You got me thinking that if everyone who lived near Cedar made a pledge to go 30 or less that maybe folks like you wouldn't use Cedar as a highway anymore. There's thousands of us, and we're all responsible for what happens on our streets.

So grow up, and slow down. Accept that it's going to take 10 minutes to get to the highway no matter who you are behind. You'll feel better and live longer.

-Will




I hope he reads this. I don't know what else to do about these folks. The city doesn't seem to take traffic issues seriously. Enforcement is so expensive and making it effective would mean 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We can paint as many lines as we want, but it's only going to work on a few people, the ones with a conscience (that's all of you good folks, or you likely wouldn't be interested in this blog :)

We need some pace cars. We need a lot of them. We need some brave folks who don't mind being screamed at or on the receiving end of misplaced rage. I've been setting my cruise control at 30 for the last 2 years. It's easy and you don't have to worry about speeding. Besides, if you go 30, you WILL hit every green light. It's really surprising!

If we get enough of our friends and neighbors to subscribe to this hot new fad, maybe we can calm things culturally. A Culture of Calming. (Hey, that's fun to say) If we can slow things to the speed limit maybe folks won't use Cedar as a shortcut, maybe folks will end up looking around and paying more attention (maybe). Maybe they'll see all the folks that live on Cedar and rely on the street to get safely from place to place (by foot, car, bike, bus etc)

I would like to talk about this a little at our next meeting, WHICH IS THIS WEDNESDAY, SEPT 6TH. See the website for directions www.cedaraveunited.org

Hope to see you all there. Drive safely and remember, Pace Car not Race Car

No comments: