Saturday, November 14, 2009

Idea for Crosswalk Signage on Cedar Ave







A GREAT idea was passed on to us from Stephanie, the block leader on 44th and Columbus regarding signage for crosswalks at the intersections of 44th and 47th Streets and Cedar Avenue.
It seems part of the hesitation by the city to put a crosswalk at an uncontrolled intersection is fear that traffic would not yield to pedestrians. I think her idea to put signage IN THE STREET, as well as on the boulevards, would make the crosswalk much more visable, and is substantially less expensive than a traffic light.
I've attached pictures of this type of sign...this one is at the interesection of 65th and Woodlake in Richfield. They also added wide, white stripes several yards before the intersection, as a further visual clue to watch for pedestrians.

2 comments:

Jeri Elsner said...

FYI, I updated the issues on the "SeeClickFix" website with pictures, as well...if you like the idea, PLEASE go onto the site and add your comments or just choose "I want this fixed too"...We need 311 to take the request seriously!

Garden Monkey said...

YAH! Thanks Jeri, I just posted the particulars with the company that makes the signs. THey are pretty cheap! I've already clicked all the 'i want this fixed' that I can :)